There are a lot of great things about summer. You got warmer weather that’s perfect for grilling outside and upcoming vacations looming over the horizon. But what’s not so great are the times where the sweltering heat has you dreading going outside and getting into a baking hot car (especially if you’ve got leather seats) or the bad hair day you’re about to have because of the high humidity. That’s when we turn to air conditioning to save the day and bring us comfort in an otherwise uncomfortable situation. Considering how air conditioning uses up about 5% of all the electricity in the United States, that comfort comes at a cost. However, there are ways you can cut down by following tips like our 6 ways to save on air conditioning costs or you can start plugging up air leaks in your home. Here are some quick fixes!
Checking For Drafts
First and foremost, the most common air leaks in your home come from drafts that go through your windows or doors. You’ll want to use caulk or weather stripping in order to plug them up. After checking for leaks in the most obvious of places, there are less obvious places that are often overlooked by homeowners both inside and outside of your home.
Air Leaks Inside Your Home
- Check to see if your outlets or light switches are loose fitting
- Electrical and gas service entrances
- Attic doors or hatches
- Phone and cable connections
- Vents and fans in your kitchen or bathroom
Air Leaks Outside Your Home
- Check the corners of your home to see if both sides line up correctly and there are no spaces in between
- Check for cracks or spaces around outdoor water spigots
- Check to see if your home’s siding is loose
- Are there any gaps or spaces in between the siding or bricks at your foundation?
These are quick DIY methods that you can use to visually check your home for any interior or exterior air leaks. Making your air conditioning system work harder leads to an increase in costs. For a more complete assessment, getting maintenance for your air conditioner or a home energy audit may prove to even help you save more money on monthly costs.
Do You Need Help Summer Proofing Your Home?
Contact Air Group today to schedule your appointment or to receive a free estimate! It’s easy as calling us at 1-800-545-1020 or by clicking here.